I was hoping to have more specific information for you guys before creating this post, but we need to provide an update either way. Here’s the update:
- The bluetooth module was mis-shipped again (yep, not kidding). So we managed to find a local supplier. This time we confirmed it’s the right part by ordering it and installing and testing it first. The expected delivery date for the full quantity we need is Feb 10th.
- We are waiting on a response from the factory on when we fit into their schedule once those modules are delivered. We have been planning on late January, so they’ll need to adjust their schedule to get us in in mid February instead.
- Everything else is in place to fulfill all of the pre-orders. Specifically, we have:
- All parts except the bluetooth module
- Factory calibration process for each device
- Factory Assembly instructions
- Other packaging (instructions, box, etc.)
- Confirmed precision and range of key measurements on a a subset of 10 – 15 devices
- Updated website and android app
As soon as we begin manufacturing, I’ll update the blog again with details, progress and pictures.
Thanks everyone for your patience and support.
We have some updated numbers on manufacturing. I’m providing these in an overabundance of sharing, but recognize (if you don’t already) that manufacturing numbers are never that tight. Things come up. Things break. Shit happens. So take this with a healthy dose of scepticism and a small dash of hope. That’s what I do.
- All circuit board and case designs are finalized (ie no more changes!).
- Our mold maker estimates 3 weeks for case molds, + 1 week for testing
- Our printed circuit board manufacturer estimates 5 weeks for completed, tested, populated circuit boards.
- Other parts with long lead times are down to 8 business days (~2 weeks), including light guides and 2 rubber molded parts.
- From final assembly, It will take us at least a week to test a small batch (~20) of these devices to confirm our calibration routines are working as expected, and determine if the variation is within out specifications.
- From that point, it will take another week or two to produce, pack, and ship the first 500 devices.
- Our software (desktop app, android app, and website) are working with the new device, so no limitations there.
What does this all mean? It means we are at a minimum 6 weeks to shipping devices. Argh…
It’s not all gloom and doom though. Next post I’m going to show our progress, how quickly you can take measurements, and how effective those measurements can be. It’s exciting stuff. Stay tuned.
Well, it’s July and you still don’t have units. That’s our fault, we’re learning as we go and you’re the one who is impacted by that process, and we’re sorry. We have tested several complete working prototype V1.0 devices in the field, thousands of measurements, and they work great (almost better than expected), and I think you’re really going to like them. So that’s a plus. But if devices aren’t in your hands when you need them this doesn’t amount to a hill of beans.
Right now, we are still at a minimum a month away, probably more. We’re doing everything we can to speed up the process – that includes 1) rush ordering circuit boards, 2) working directly with (ie setting up shop at) the manufacturer to try to reduce lag time to troubleshoot questions about the circuit board, 3) and ordering/preparing everything we possibly can before we have final circuit boards are completed.
We’ve been collecting a lot of data here on test plots, and we’ll be sharing what we see so far soon. I hope this will give you peace of mind – it certainly does for me 🙂
We’re working really hard to get these things out, and we really appreciate your patience and support,