MultispeQ Firmware v2.0038 has a new and improved compass routine, that can more reliably read compass direction when the device is tilted. Once the instrument is updated, you must calibrate the compass to enable it to work.
More information is given in the announcements section of the forum.
Please follow these steps:
1) Connect to the desktop app, and access the console.
2) Enter the command calibrate_magnetometer
3) Rotate the device in ALL directions. Make sure the nose of the instrument draws out a “sphere” in the air. Also, ensure the instrument is rolled in all directions while calibrating (Like a plane does a barrel roll). All movements should be slow and arc-like.
4) After calibrating the magnetometer, find the protocol “compass and tilt only”.
5) Point the MultispeQ towards a cardinal direction, and select “run”. Ensure that the measurement “Compass_direction” shows the direction the device was pointed. Repeat for all cardinal directions.
6) Put the MultispeQ on a level surface and run the protocol again. The measurements “Angle”, “Pitch”, and “Roll” should all be close to 0 or 1. If not, please recalibrate the instrument, taking extra care to rotate the device in all directions.
7) Tilt the instrument on its side. Run the protocol, and make sure “Roll” shows a value of around +/-90.
8) Turn the instrument upside-down. Run the protocol, and ensure the value for “Roll” is close to +/-180.
9) Next, tilt the instrument’s nose upwards at an angle. The value “Pitch” should reflect the angle the MultispeQ is tilted. If the device passes these tests, the magnetometer was calibrated successfully.
After updating, if your device is having trouble taking measurements or is acting slow, calibrate the open and closed positions. To do so, access the console on the desktop app and type in set_open_closed_positions. Open the device’s clamp 2mm~, and enter “+” into the console. Then, open the clamp to 4mm~, and enter “+” into the console.